Tuesday, 8 June 2010

Wedding Day

Well the wedding day came and the dragon was not quite as finished as I wanted it to be but I was still able to use it, If i had of given myself some more time I would have put a lot more detail on the face and also put some scales on the body.

As I am away at the moment a quick update with a picture of how the dragon looked on the day with the table plan list in hand.

Thursday, 3 June 2010

Day 8

Day 8 (Day 7 Part 2 didnt happen as it wasn't ready)

Cloth Mache Wings Drying

Trimmed but got to do the feet and head yet :)

Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Day 7

Day 7 (maybe part 1)

So thanks to work for letting me not only finish work 1 hour early but by letting me have a bag of shreddings :)

All out ready to be put together

Start of the base

Base ready to mache! :) had to use parcel tape as masking tape was running out fast

1 Foot

2 Feet and 2 Arms

Wings Rawr!!

Day 6

Day 6 (1st June)

Its been over 2 weeks now since I did anything with the dragon, I just was not happy with the way it was looking.

However after seeing it was 4 more days untill the wedding I needed to do something so tonight I have spent about 5 hours trying to get things ready to have a finished ready to paint Dragon by Thursday (2Days)

So first was to cut off a lump just above the tail to soften out the shape of the dragon, as it just looked like it had a fat ass.

Then was the task to create a mouth (this was not easy but I'm semi happy with it)

You can see its now a flat line from tail to back, Lump removed.

The head sort of done

2 Claws ready to mache but they are huge! and I mean HUGE!!

Since dragon is going to hold a list I gave edge burning of paper a try to get a nice effect

Arms drying

Saturday, 22 May 2010

Day 5

After getting home from work I get stuck into sorting out what to do with the wings.

I cut the power cable I stripped Yesterday into lengths

I set out the layout I would like the wing in but it's just to bare
4th Wing finger just looks and feels right to me

Both Wings done time to make a head

Mached the head, created a spare to cut if 1st goes wrong and moulded a nose(on the left)

How the hed will sit but thats not how its going to look finished.
After doing the wings a 1hour nap was in order :)

Thursday, 20 May 2010

Day 4 cont..

So tonight we had to go shopping for our weekly shop so mache time was going to be limited.
I decided I would stick the legs and the tail to the body with masking tape then mache over to create a stronger bond.
So after I applied mache to the body over the masking tape i started to prep some of the power cable ready to create the wings, claws, head and back spikes
Left to Right Power cable, Plastic casing ripped off, 3 inner cores, 1blue 1 brown and 1 bare copper.
Since I can't find any metal style clothes hangers I will have to make do with these.
2 Wing sections ready.
Had a quick read through a few pages of the book I got today 'Papier-Mache Monsters'
I have to say I really like the way it is written, very easy to follow instructions and quite a lot of humour which makes for a great read. Anyone wishing to get started I recommend buying this book
Links to amazon UK and USA
I think tomorrow will be more wing prep and a start on the ball for the head.
While out shopping I got some cheap bed sheets ready for the Dan Reeder's Cloth Mache technique.

Day 4 Book is here

Book has arrived :)